Team Erickson

Here we go!

Oh what a night! April 16, 2012

Filed under: Pregnancy — teamerickson @ 12:54 pm

Friday night was exciting. Yep.

I woke up Friday morning around 4am with a pretty serious stomach flu. I won’t go into detail here, but let’s just say bodily fluids were violently coming out of me at rates never before seen.

I struggled with this bug all day. I didn’t leave my room except to run to the bathroom at least once an hour.

(J stayed home and took care of Gunnar and me, and he was super sweet about it too. Praise God for good husbands!)

Well anyway, it was about 5pm and I finally got some fluids down and they stayed there… for a while. Then around 8pm those same fluids came rushing back up and out. I was so discouraged!

J had left around 6:30 for our Young Marrieds Bible study group. I told him to go because I thought I’d just sleep and be fine.

Well, right around 9pm I started having some pretty regular contractions. I began timing them and they were around 3 or 4 minutes apart. NOT GOOD. Especially since that was the way my labor started with Gunnar.

I called J and told him to hurry up and get home. When he was home we timed my contractions and they were 2:40 apart. Really NOT GOOD!

I called my doc and told her what was going on and she told me I’d better get to the hospital. She also said it was probably just false labor caused by my serious dehydration, but that I needed some fluids to make those contractions stop.

My good friend Candace came over and picked up Gunnar and took him to her house for the night (thanks Candace!) and J and I headed out on the road to the hospital. Another good friend of mine, Ashleigh, who wants to be a doula someday, met us at the hospital for support. (I told Ashleigh that if I go into labor before my mom gets here I’m going to need a woman who I know in there with me and she was more than happy to be my support person. J’s great and all, but come on, sometimes you just need a girlfriend around. 🙂 )

When we got to the hospital I climbed up in the bed and the nurse immediately hooked me up to an IV and started dripping a saline solution into my blood. Once that bag was out, my contractions began to slow and to ease up. I was so happy too, cause at that time of night (it was probably midnight by then) I would NOT have been able to push a baby out. And I really don’t want to end up with an emergency C-section because of something as stupid as a little flu bug.

The nurse was a lot happier by then with how I was looking, but she still wasn’t completely sure about our baby girl. So she gave me half a bag of glucose and we all crossed our fingers hoping that would do the trick.

And it did! Genevieve’s heart rate went back to normal (it was really high because of the dehydration) and she was kicking her heels up like a toddler on a sugar high.

PRAISE GOD! I did not want to have a baby in the condition I was in Friday night.

The nurse released us when she saw both mom and babe were doing well and sent us home. We pulled up to our house around 2am and J and I both crashed and had one of the best night’s sleep in a loooong time. (Gunnar stayed at Judah and Candace’s house and had fun playing with their little boy, Elijah, the next morning.)

Saturday I had mostly liquids all day, but right around 5pm I started to crave a spicy chicken sandwich from Chik-fil-a. I don’t even eat there a lot, but it sounded so good! So J, Gunnar, and I packed up in the car and went for a little drive. It was nice to finally get out of the house. I only ate half my sandwich, but it was so good! And it stayed down. The only negative – I got some pretty good heartburn from it. 🙂

Sunday I stayed home from church and slept in till 11am, so J took Gunnar to church by himself. J brought me home a donut, which I ate with glee! Then later on that night I had about a cup of homemade BBQ chicken salad.

This morning I ate a very small bowl of cereal and half an apple. So far, so good.

I’m focused now on regaining my strength for the labor that I know is coming soon! It could be anytime now! It’d be nice to hold off on it for a couple more days or more, but I could probably handle it now. Women have had to endure worse!

Thanks to all my family and friends for their prayers and support! I’ve needed it! Will let you know when she comes!!


One Response to “Oh what a night!”

  1. […] Moment this week:   See my last post by clicking here. Because of this, I lost about 5 lbs. Don’t worry peeps, not a big deal for me. And who knows […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s