It’s so simple.
And yet the idea just came to me today when I realized the dust was beginning to pile up on my shelves.
I have one of those reusable dusting wand things, but I hadn’t washed it for a while. Ew. And I’ve really wanted a dusting mitt, but didn’t want to fork over the money when I had a perfectly good wand. My desperation to dust coupled with my stinginess and refusal to buy a new mitt led to this bright idea…
So here’s how to make your own reusable cloth dusting mitt from things you already have around your house.
1. Find an old cotton sock.
2. Sniff it to make sure it’s clean.
3. Put it on your hand.
4. Dust the nastiness out of your house.
5. Toss the now dirty sock into the laundry bin.
Tips and troubleshooting:
1. If the sock is dirty, find another one. (Hint: look in your drawer.) Or, if you’re the type that doesn’t give a damn, use the part of the sock that goes on the top of your foot.
2. If your house is really dusty (or really large), grab a pair of socks and use both hands. Careful though, this move is for experienced dusters only.
3. You might also try turning the sock as you go, so you can get more dusting power from just one sock.
I really can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this before. And now I really can’t believe people actually pay money for those dusting mitts. That mitt is a sock for your hand, people!!